Tuesday, May 12, 2009

Mother Mary: Point of Light

Blessed is she who believed.  The she is, of course, the Virgin Mary.  When the archangel Gabriel came to her, she believed and was obedient, not to any human convention, but to the Gifts of God.  For Jesus was a true Gift of God to the Virgin Mary.  He was in part, her lifeforce in the world, which is why we have the Assumption that she too was born without sin.  Why, you may ask must we assume that the Virgin Mary was born without sin.  Some of you may not even believe that Jesus was born without sin, but there is wisdom in the church's teachings and it would behoove yourself to take heed.

Mary said, "Behold I am the handmaiden of the Lord; let it be done to me according to your word."  She accepted the Gifts of the Spirit, of which children are certainly one.  Now children aren't perfect by any means, but that doesn't mean that they aren't a special part of a parent's life.  I myself am not a parent yet, but I hope to be someday with the right woman.  Like St. Joseph, I'd like to bear a child with a woman and let it shine like the sun.

Forgive my pun, but Jesus shone like the sun and was the Son of God.  

Throughout her life and until her last ordeal at the foot of her son's cross, Mary was the obedient handmadien of the Lord.  Obedience is really a quality that is not cherished by society.  There is so much pressure to be disobedient to God's Will.  Why do we succumb to it?  Lord knows I'm not perfect.  The Lord knows everything impure and evil about me, but the Lord still loves me.

Think about how the Virgin Mary was obedient to the Lord even at the foot of the cross.  At the very sacrifice of her Son, Jesus.  Try to be more like her.  She is a model of virtue and with Mother's Day so close behind us, we should think of her more as a model of Motherhood.

The Virgin Mary is venerated by the Church as the purest realization of Faith and Faith is a prime virtue of the Spirit.

No comments:

Post a Comment